I feel as though i have been quite slack on the grocery shopping side of things lately. Feels as though the cupboards and fridge are a little light on, though I don't really mind because that seems to be when I have to think of new things to make using ordinary pantry staples (especially if the fruit bowl is a little light on too!) . And these delicious orange mini muffins were what eventuated today much to Hudson's delight. We do have an orange and poppy seed cake recipe on the site but this is even further refined, with less ingredients! Mini muffins are the perfect size for toddler snacks and they freeze exceptionally well.
How are they loaded? Using wholemeal flour (which you can of course swap with gluten free if you prefer), we have boosted the fibre. Olive oil was chosen for it's healthy monounsaturated fat and antioxidant content and as usual, we have avoided refined sugar opting for stevia instead.
Makes 24 mini muffins
- 2 cups of wholemeal self raising flour (or gluten free SR flour)
- 1/3 cup of granulated stevia
- 1/4 cup of poppy seeds
- zest and juice of 1 large orange
- 2 x eggs
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 1/4 cup of almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 3-4 drops of food grade Wild Orange essential oil (optional)
- Preheat oven to 160C and grease a mini muffin pan
- Add flour, stevia, poppy seeds and zest to a large bowl and combine.
- In a jug, combine the orange juice eggs, olive oil, vanilla, milk and essential oil (if using) and mix thoroughly.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until combined.
- Spoon mixture into the prepared mini muffin tin (approx 3/4 full minimum) and bake for approx 15 minutes or until cooked through. Touch the top and if it springs back, they are ready.