OK, so if there is one recipe to try on our website for the adults, this is the one I suggest! It is so quick of course, no cooking but so good that it is really hard to keep your hands off. It came about by a serious pregnancy craving for snickers. I hadn't had one in years but I saw it at the supermarket and pretty much started drooling at the registers. I had gestational diabetes so thought I better not have that and wondered if I could somehow make a 'Natural Mumma' version. This was the result of a few trial and errors. And it certainly helped my craving but as rice malt syrup spiked my blood sugar levels, I had to eat a little bit at a time. The protein in the nuts does help with the blood sugar spike though. Overall, a much healthier option than that baby at the supermarket register...
How is it loaded? Full of nuts that offer various vitamins and minerals as well as plant based protein and healthy fats. Coconut oil which helps to solidify the slice has anti bacterial properties and is good for our heart while the rice malt syrup is a fructose free sweetener.
- 1 cup of cashews (chopped if serving to children)
- 1/2 a cup of peanuts (chopped if serving to children)
- 1/2 cup of homemade or store bought 100% peanut butter
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil
- 1/4 cup of rice malt syrup
- 80g of 70% cocoa dark chocolate melted
- sea salt flakes
- Put the nuts in a large bowl and add the other ingredients except for the dark chocolate and salt
- Mix until well combined and pour into a lined slice tray approx 20cm x 15cm
- Refrigerate until firm. Once firm, pour over dark chocolate and marble the chocolate into the top with a skewer. Sprinkle over salt flakes and return to the fridge to set.
- Break it up/slice it with a knife into indivdual pieces. Try not to eat it all.