If you are looking for a delicious, nutritious uncooked treat, this one may be for you! Kept in the freezer, this delicious slice is loaded with goodness, is vegan friendly and of course-no refined sugar in sight. The creamy, chocolate topping is made using a blend of cashews and avocado for a beautiful, buttercream like consistency. A fantastic snack for young and old.
How is it loaded? A whole avocado features in this treat full of good fats and nearly 20 vitamins and minerals. Raw buckwheat is a gluten free (no its not related to wheat as the name may suggest) whole grain that ranks higher than many other whole grains on the nutrition front. Combined with nuts for protein, dates for potassium, there are no empty calories in this! Please note, the dates and maple syrup do mean it is high in fructose so even though it is not full of additives and refined sugars, it is still a treat.
- 1 cup of raw buckwheat groats (I soak mine for an hour or so to retain some crunch)
- 1/2 cup of shredded coconut (additive free)
- 1/2 cup of pecans (or nuts of choice)
- 1 cup of medjool dates (pitted)
- 1 cup of raw cashews (coaked for an hour)
- 3 Tbs maple syrup
- 3 Tbs cocoa or cacao
- The flesh of 1 small avocado
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- Line a small slice pan (approx 20cm x 15cm). Add all Base ingredients into a high speed food processor and process until sticky and completely broken down.
- Using a spatula, scrape the mix from the processor bowl into the prepared slice pan and push down to form the base ensuring it is even.
- Making sure the processor bowl is mostly clean (just make sure the base is out-don't need to wash), add the topping ingredients except the avocado and process until creamy and smooth. This may takes a few minutes to get it to the right consistency. Add the avocado and process for another minute or so until very smooth and creamy.
- Spread the topping on the base of the slice pan and smooth. Place in the freezer for an hour or so. Remove from the freezer, cut into squares and freeze again.
- This slice is kept in the freezer. When serving take out of the freezer bout 10 minutes prior to allow to soften a little.