Making lunches that suit every member of our family is always challenging but important for me since time is always of the essence during the week. One meal that always satisfies is fritters, so here we have made them out of quinoa which gives a beautiful, toasty, crunchy texture that makes it truly enjoyable for everyone. Usually, quinoa is not a favourite of mine, only when it is toasted in this way does it really appeal and that makes me happy given the high nutritional profile of the seed. A word of warning, they do break apart so if you are feeding them to young kids, expect a little mess (we eat them outside) which makes Basil the dog happy too.
How is it loaded? Quinoa (a seed, not grain) is gluten free, high in protein, fiber, manganese, folate and also contains all nine essential amino acids. Combined with peas for vitamin K, eggs for omega 3 and iron, a little cheese for calcium, and cooked in olive oil, this family friendly finger food is quite a nutritional powerhouse!
- 3/4 cup of red quinoa (can use other colours)
- 1 & 1/2 cups of water
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 50g of parmesan or cheese of choice
- 2 x eggs
- 2 small cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 Tbs mint leaves chopped finely.
- Olive oil for frying
- Rinse quinoa in a sieve and add to a saucepan with the water. Bring to the boil then simmer for 12-15 minutes until liquid has absorbed and quinoa is cooked. Add in frozen peas for last couple of minutes to cook through. Leave to cool.
- Once cooled, place quinoa and peas to a large bowl and mix in all of the other ingredients (except olive oil). Season according to taste (leave salt out if feeding to baby and add to individual serves).The eggs and the cheese hold the mixture together. You may need to add an additional egg (particularly if you have used small eggs) if your mix isn't holding form when squeezed together-it will hold better once cooked.
- Heat a good drizzle of olive oil in a large frying pan and add spoonfuls of the mix and shape with your spatula. Cook on both sides until browned and cooked through.
- Serve with a green salad and a garlic yoghurt sauce if desired.