Have you ever tried making your own baked beans (without the baking part)? I have always loved baked beans, you either love or hate them I think. They are so easy and quick but as usual, I like to be in control of the amount of sugar and salt I give to my kids so it was only natural I tried to make them myself. This version is basic since I like to make up a big batch to serve to baby, toddler and us and just season them individually or serve them in different ways. You can freeze them or they last a few days in the fridge for lunches on the run!
How are they loaded? With no refined sugar and limited salt, they are perfect for the whole family. You can add extra veg as you desire and use dried cannelini beans soaked overnight if you prefer.
- I x brown onion diced
- 2 x garlic cloves crushed
- 1 x carrot grated with skin on
- 1 x zucchini grated
- 2 x tablespoons of salt reduced tomato paste
- 2 x cans of Cannelini beans with no added salt rinsed
- 1 x 420g can of Australian tomatoes
- Pepper to season
- 1 x tsp of soy sauce and 1 tsp of maple syrup to season (optional)
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil to large saucepan. Fry off onion for a few minutes until softened. Add garlic, carrot, zucchini and tomato paste and saute for a minute.
- Add tomatoes and beans to the saucepan and stir to combine.
- Simmer for 25 minutes or so until the sauce has thickened.
- If serving to older children or adults, season with pepper, sauce and maple syrup to taste. Serve on sourdough with avocado and an egg.