Platter night! You really do have to pay for convenience these days don't you? I was having a look at the price of decent wraps/tortillas and was quite surprised! It was hard enough to find any without vegetable oil or other additives and when I did, I wasn't very impressed with the price tag. That must have been the reason I made these for the first time a while ago. After finding some egg whites I had frozen, these babies came to mind as egg whites and coconut flour are a good team (a necessary one even when you are using coconut flour). If you haven't used coconut flour before, the texture is a little unique. It is highly absorbent so you use about 1/3 of what you would regular flour and it needs eggs. So these are made with 3 ingredients basically, egg whites (4 because that is what i had on defrosted, coconut flour and water. They are a gluten free option that is nutritious and perfect for the kiddos. Here we have teamed with some vegetables and marinated beef.
How are they loaded? Coconut flour is a wheat and grain free flour that is high in fibre offering a soft finish perfect for tortillas. The egg whites offer protein and some folate and selenium.I'm in no way against using egg yolks-they offer the most nutrition out of an egg but this recipe does not call for them.
- 4 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons of coconut flour
- Approximately 1/3 cup of water
- salt & pepper and various seasonings of your choice including herbs or spices such as a little turmeric (we kept it plain for this platter given the other flavours. You can taste the egg when they are plain so I suggest adding flavour if that is not your cup of tea).
- Add all ingredients to a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Make sure the mixture is similar to a pancake mix-quite runny to make them thin.
- Let the mix rest for 10 minutes or so if you have time.
- Heat a crepe pan and add a little oil of choice (we use olive).
- Add approx 2 tablespoons of mixture to the pan and spread around with the back of your spoon to reach to the desired thickness (approx 0.5cm or less) Brown on each side and remove to a plate and keep warm. Repeat with the rest of the mixture and serve immediately.