We love to give our family oats for breakfast. Not only are they commonly regarded as a 'superfood', they also are filling, quick and cost effective! Brad is more often than not the breakfast maker in our family-giving me a lovely rest in the morning so 'easy' is an important attribute. We generally throw whatever we have on hand in the porridge saucepan but the favorite would have to be choc-berry porridge! Hudson gets very excited when he sees the familiar cocoa colour in his bowl-and for us to know that he loves it, and its super healthy, what more could we ask for!
- 1 cup of rolled oats (I prefer organic but really they all cook the same)
- 1 tbl cocoa (can use cacao if preferred)
- 1/2 cup berries of your choice (can use frozen)
- 1 tbl chia seeds
- 2 tbl LSA mix (optional)
- 1 cup milk of your choice (oat milk works great if dairy free)
- 1 medjool date (chopped finely)
- greek yoghurt to serve
- sunflower seeds/nuts to serve (depending on the age of your child-nuts can be a choking hazard for young children)
- Add all ingredients, apart from serving ingredients, into a heavy based saucepan.
- Heat on low stirring occasionally until thickened and oats have softened (approx 8 minutes), add extra milk if required.