So how do you get a whole head of broccoli into a toddler? Make it into fritters of course! Yes I know it's fried but I don't have a problem with that using good quality extra virgin olive oil at a moderate temperature. These fritters only have a few ingredients and are, of course, very quick and easy so you can whip them up for lunch or tea in 15 minutes or less if you microwave the broccoli.
How is it loaded? The 'superfood' broccoli is the main attraction in this recipe but could easily be substituted for any veggie really that you had at hand. Even better-use up something that is close to turning! We have avoided flour in this recipe, opting for quiona flakes instead which are gluten free. The eggs are a fantastic form of protein but all offer many other benefits-a bit of a multivitamin eggs are! The smoked cheddar is there for flavour-and seasoning. You don't have to use smoked cheddar-any cheddar will be fine but we like the flavour the smoked cheddar imparts.
Makes approx 6 depending on the size you make them.
- 1 x small head of broccoli-just the florets, you can use the stalk in another dish
- 3 x eggs
- 1/2 cup of quinoa flakes
- 1/2 cup of grated smoked cheddar
- Homemade sauce (or reduced salt and sugar sauce) to serve
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil.
- Steam the broccoli until softened and easily mashable with a fork (approx 5 minutes in a steamer)
- Put the eggs in a medium bowl and beat, mix in the grated cheese. Put the broccoli once cooked into the bowl and mash down with a fork. It depends on your personal requirements how much you mash, we like to still be able to make out that it is broccoli as you can see in the video.
- Add the quinoa flakes and mix all together until well incorporated.
- Heat the oil in a fry pan and put a large tablespoon or so of the mixture in the pan. Fry until brown and flip over. Brown the other side remove to cool slightly. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Serve with sauce and a side salad if you like.