Smoothies would have to be the easiest and fastest way to load your nutrition for the day, and the best part is the kids love them! I rarely make the same smoothie twice to be honest, it all depends on what is growing in the garden or what I have to use in the fridge but mine are always green. Sometimes Hudson will decide he isn't into that baby spinach in his lunch today but I think its important that we all have leafy greens every single day so this is a surefire way to fill that gap.
It may not sound too appealing but I always have silverbeet growing in my garden so it is easy for me to whip off a few leaves and throw them in and you really can't taste it at all once you get the balance right. If you have a large pot or space in your yard to grow some greens give it a shot, the kids can help grow what they eat which encourages them to do so and its cheaper than having to buy it all the time! And trust me, I wouldn't be growing it if it were even slightly difficult. Silverbeet can handle a fair amount of neglect-it just keeps coming back! You can make this ahead and freeze in our food pouches to take for a snack anytime.
How is it loaded? Just check out all of the ingredients!
- 1 banana (frozen if possible-buy a big bunch and thrown a few peeled bananas in the freezer. Great for making ice cream too (see banana ice cream recipe))
- 1/2 cup of frozen berries (I tend to keep the fresh berries for snacking)
- a couple of large silverbeet leaves (or equivalent greens of any type)
- 1 x kiwi fruit (skin on and washed-a lot of the nutrition is in the skin and the blender will disguise the furry taste for you. kiwis are high in vitamin c which is a water soluble vitamin and therefore something we need to take every day as we cant store it)
- handful of cashews (they increase the creaminess further as well as load up the protein factor)
- 1 tsp manuka honey (fantastic antimicrobial properties)
- 1 tsp chia seeds (high in calcium)
- enough filtered water to bring it to the consistency that you like-approx 1 cup. You can use your choice of milk here also if you prefer.
- squeeze lemon
- Add all ingredients to a blender and process until smooth. Serve.